Bowel Care Training – Facilitated by registered nurses with first hand clinical experience, this ½ day blended learning course allows attendees to demonstrate theoretical and practical competencies within a classroom environment.
Participants will further their knowledge and skills related to supporting patients with bowel care interventions.
Why Is It Important?
Healthcare professionals need to be aware of the local and systemic effects of constipation, in order to prevent them effectively.
“Bowel care is a fundamental area of patient/client care that is frequently overlooked, yet it is of paramount importance for the quality of life of our patients/clients, many of whom are hesitant to admit to bowel problems or to discuss such issues.” (Royal College of Nursing (RCN) 2008).
Assessment to identify the cause of constipation will help to establish a plan of care for treatment. The effects of constipation can make patients feel very unwell, particularly if they compound a pre-existing medical condition.
Bowel Care Training Session Outline
- Associated anatomy and physiology
- Stool specimen: assessment
- Constipation: causes and assessment
- Constipation: treatment
- Inserting a rectal suppository
- Administration of an enema
Healthcare professionals that will be responsible for assessment and management of bowel care for patients.
Registered nurses with first hand clinical experience
Other Clinical Skills Training Courses:
- Fundamentals of Infection Control
- Measuring Observations
- Administration of Medicines (Including Calculations)
- Pre and Postoperative Care
- Clinical Examinations and Assessments
- Practical Respiratory Skills
- Ear Care
- Eye Care
- Bowel Care
- Stoma Care
- Continence Care
- Specimen Collection
- Injection Administration
- Venepuncture – Phlebotomy
- Intravenous Therapy
- Blood Transfusion
- Central Venous Access Devices
- Enteral / PEG Feeding
- Wound Care – Primary Care
- Wound Care – Secondary Care
- Pressure Area Care
- Sepsis Awareness
- End of Life Care
- Resuscitation and Anaphylaxis Courses
- Primary Care Course Bundles