Intravenous Therapy Training – Facilitated by registered nurses with first hand clinical experience, this ½ day blended learning course allows participants to demonstrate theoretical and practical competencies within a classroom environment.
This training course is intended to cover all aspects of safe IV administration and associated care. End of course assessment provided to evaluate knowledge.
Why Is It Important?
Intravenous therapy is one of the most common treatments provided across healthcare.
Despite this, there is often a lack of formal training for nurses and other health professionals, before or after registration, in prescribing, administering and managing IV medication administration. This leads to nurses considering IV therapy as “routine” and often being unaware of its importance, benefits and associated risks.
Greater attention to intravenous medication administration is needed in nurse education and it should be prioritised in continuing professional development.
Intravenous Therapy Training Session Outline
- Priming and connecting an infusion set
- Intravenous infusions: problem solving
- Intravenous infusions: calculating rates
- Preparation and administration of a peripheral intravenous flush
Aimed AtRegistered healthcare professionals looking to enhance their current skills/knowledge and review current practice or looking to acquire new skills.
Facilitated byRegistered nurses with first hand clinical experience
Other Clinical Skills Training Courses:
- Fundamentals of Infection Control
- Measuring Observations
- Administration of Medicines (Including Calculations)
- Pre and Postoperative Care
- Clinical Examinations and Assessments
- Practical Respiratory Skills
- Ear Care
- Eye Care
- Bowel Care
- Stoma Care
- Continence Care
- Specimen Collection
- Injection Administration
- Venepuncture – Phlebotomy
- Intravenous Therapy
- Blood Transfusion
- Central Venous Access Devices
- Enteral / PEG Feeding
- Wound Care – Primary Care
- Wound Care – Secondary Care
- Pressure Area Care
- Sepsis Awareness
- End of Life Care
- Resuscitation and Anaphylaxis Courses
- Primary Care Course Bundles