Stoma Care Training (Fundamentals) – Facilitated by registered nurses with first hand clinical experience, this ½ day blended learning course allows learners to gain theoretical and practical stoma care knowledge.
This training course is intended to cover all aspects of safe principles of stoma care including practical application within a classroom environment.
Why Is It Important?
It is estimated that one in 500 people in the UK are currently living with a stoma. Individuals of all ages can have a stoma (Colostomy UK, 2019).
Stoma patients commonly receive specialist care from specialist stoma nurses. However, they may receive care within clinical settings and present health problems related to their stoma. It is vital in these situations and for routine stoma care non–specialist healthcare professionals understand the basics of stoma management. Professionals responsible for routine care must know when to seek help from the stoma care nurse.
Stoma Care Training Session Outline
- Anatomy and physiology and stoma types
- Measuring stomas and cutting templates
- Emptying drainable pouches
- Changing stoma appliances
- Two-piece appliances
- Problem solving
Healthcare professionals across all environments, already caring for ostomates wanting to enhance their current skills/knowledge and review current practice. Or those unfamiliar to stoma care nursing looking to acquire new skills.
Registered nurses with first-hand clinical experience
Other Clinical Skills Training Courses:
- Fundamentals of Infection Control
- Measuring Observations
- Administration of Medicines (Including Calculations)
- Pre and Postoperative Care
- Clinical Examinations and Assessments
- Practical Respiratory Skills
- Ear Care
- Eye Care
- Bowel Care
- Stoma Care
- Continence Care
- Specimen Collection
- Injection Administration
- Venepuncture – Phlebotomy
- Intravenous Therapy
- Blood Transfusion
- Central Venous Access Devices
- Enteral / PEG Feeding
- Wound Care – Primary Care
- Wound Care – Secondary Care
- Pressure Area Care
- Sepsis Awareness
- End of Life Care
- Resuscitation and Anaphylaxis Courses
- Primary Care Course Bundles