Tracheostomy Care Training – Facilitated by registered nurses with first hand clinical experience, this ½ day blended learning course allows learners to gain theoretical and practical knowledge of best practice in tracheostomy care.
This training course is intended to cover all aspects of safe principles of tracheostomy including practical application within a classroom environment.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
Within head and neck surgical practice, tracheostomies are often managed both in ICU and the wider care settings. Incorrect management and care can result in complications and negatively impacting upon the patient’s activities of daily living.
All healthcare staff responsible for the care of tracheostomy patients must have a sound understanding of best practice especially if they are unfamiliar with them.
10-15% of all UK ICU patients have tracheostomies formed (Adult Trachy 14,000).
5000 surgical tracheostomies procedures each year.
58% male patients (NTSP, 2019).
Tracheostomy Training Session Outline
- Anatomy and Physiology including surgical procedures
- Humidification and oxygen therapy
- Suctioning a patient with a tracheostomy
- Changing dressings and keeping the area clean
- Fitting, managing and changing an inner cannula tube
- Changing the inner tube
- Stoma care and cuff management
- Common complications and trouble shooting
- Keeping accurate records
- Full tube change procedure
- Emergency tracheostomy management (resus) procedure and guidelines
- Practical session using mannequin & suction machine
Healthcare professionals across all settings including community, already caring for trachy patients, who want to enhance their current skills/knowledge and review current practice. Or those unfamiliar to tracheostomy care looking to acquire new skills and practice effectively.
Registered nurses with first-hand clinical experience
oTHER Clinical Skills Training COURSES
We stick to what we do best…face-to-face facilitation of clinical skills training across all healthcare settings. We have over 35 clinical courses available.
- Fundamentals of Infection Control
- Measuring Observations
- Administration of Medicines (Including Calculations)
- Pre and Postoperative Care
- Clinical Examinations and Assessments
- Practical Respiratory Skills Training (Fundamentals)
- Ear Care
- Eye Care
- Bowel Care
- Fundamentals of Stoma Care
- Continence Care
- Specimen Collection
- Injection Administration
- Venepuncture – Phlebotomy
- Intravenous Therapy
- Blood Transfusion
- Central Venous Access Devices
- Fundamentals of Tracheostomy Care
- Gastrostomy Care and Enteral Feeding
- Wound Care – Primary Care
- Wound Care – Secondary Care
- Essentials of Pressure Area Care
- Sepsis Awareness
- End of Life Care
- Resuscitation and Anaphylaxis Courses
- Primary Care Course Bundles
What do our customers say...
Even as a carer/manager for 24+ years I have learnt a lot and feel this training will have a positive impact on the people who we support and the staff team
This is an excellent refresher, I feel more confident and able to spread the knowledge to others to prevent pressure ulcers.
I thought I had quite a good understanding and knowledge but I have learnt much more. Very enjoyable session.
Trainer ensured attendees understood questions and encouraged them. Really enjoyed the afternoon, relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Trainers were excellent and full of knowledge. They make you feel comfortable and confident. Very much enjoyed the course. Definitely felt like I learnt a lot.
Great information. Will put learning into practice.
Great information, will put learning into practice.
Brilliant course and well delivered!