Tracheostomy Care Training – Facilitated by registered nurses with first hand clinical experience, this ½ day blended learning course allows learners to gain theoretical and practical knowledge of best practice in tracheostomy care.
This training course is intended to cover all aspects of safe principles of tracheostomy including practical application within a classroom environment.
Why Is It Important?
Within head and neck surgical practice, tracheostomies are often managed both in ICU and the wider care settings. Incorrect management and care can result in complications and negatively impacting upon the patient’s activities of daily living.
All healthcare staff responsible for the care of tracheostomy patients must have a sound understanding of best practice especially if they are unfamiliar with them.
10-15% of all UK ICU patients have tracheostomies formed (Adult Trachy 14,000).
5000 surgical tracheostomies procedures each year.
58% male patients (NTSP, 2019).
Tracheostomy Care Training – Session Outline
- Anatomy and Physiology including surgical procedures
- Humidification and oxygen therapy
- Changing the inner tube
- Stoma care and cuff management
- Common complications and trouble shooting
Healthcare professionals across all settings including community, already caring for trachy patients, who want to enhance their current skills/knowledge and review current practice. Or those unfamiliar to tracheostomy care looking to acquire new skills and practice effectively.
Registered nurses with first-hand clinical experience
Other Clinical Skills Training Courses:
- Fundamentals of Infection Control
- Measuring Observations
- Administration of Medicines (Including Calculations)
- Pre and Postoperative Care
- Clinical Examinations and Assessments
- Practical Respiratory Skills
- Ear Care
- Eye Care
- Bowel Care
- Stoma Care
- Continence Care
- Specimen Collection
- Injection Administration
- Venepuncture – Phlebotomy
- Intravenous Therapy
- Blood Transfusion
- Central Venous Access Devices
- Enteral / PEG Feeding
- Wound Care – Primary Care
- Wound Care – Secondary Care
- Pressure Area Care
- Sepsis Awareness
- End of Life Care
- Resuscitation and Anaphylaxis Courses
- Primary Care Course Bundles