Venepuncture Training – Facilitated by registered nurses with first hand clinical experience, this ½ day blended learning course allows participants to demonstrate theoretical and practical venepuncture competencies within a classroom environment.
This training course is intended to cover all aspects of safe principles of venepuncture. Learners will have the opportunity to practice venepuncture skills on a model under supervision of our clinical training team, utilising both a winged infusion device and a needle and holder.
Why Is It Important?
Venepuncture is a common procedure however if undertaken incorrectly can result in complications including; haematoma, pain and bruising. It is vital the healthcare professional practices with confidence, thus reducing anxiety and fully understands and gives valid consent.
Practitioners are required to use current evidence-based practice to take blood without causing any discomfort. If the sample is collected incorrectly, it may not be possible to provide a test result.
Venepuncture Training Session Outline
- Associated anatomy and physiology
- Venepuncture technique using a needle and holder
- Venepuncture technique using a winged infusion device
All healthcare professionals across all settings, already undertaking peripheral cannulation looking to enhance their current skills/knowledge and review current practice or looking to acquire new venepuncture/phlebotomy skills.
Registered nurses with first-hand clinical experience
Other Clinical Skills Training Courses:
- Fundamentals of Infection Control
- Measuring Observations
- Administration of Medicines (Including Calculations)
- Pre and Postoperative Care
- Clinical Examinations and Assessments
- Practical Respiratory Skills
- Ear Care
- Eye Care
- Bowel Care
- Stoma Care
- Continence Care
- Specimen Collection
- Injection Administration
- Venepuncture – Phlebotomy
- Intravenous Therapy
- Blood Transfusion
- Central Venous Access Devices
- Enteral / PEG Feeding
- Wound Care – Primary Care
- Wound Care – Secondary Care
- Pressure Area Care
- Sepsis Awareness
- End of Life Care
- Resuscitation and Anaphylaxis Courses
- Primary Care Course Bundles